C/o Mendosa, Court Hill Road, Rosemarkie, Black-Isle, Inverness, IV10 8UE
Telephone: 44 (0) 1381 620883 mobile: 44 (0) 7876 556784
Membership of the ASSG offers numerous benefits to shellfish growers and those in allied sectors:
-In Edinburgh, with Scottish Executive Ministers and officials (in particular SEERAD), MSPs and their researchers and Parliamentary staff;
-In Aberdeen, with FSAS Scotland and Marine Scotland;
-In London, with DEFRA, FSA, CEFAS and SAGB Mollusc Committee;
• Close liaison with relevant organisations such as SFIA (Shellfish and Aquaculture Advisory Committees), SEPA, Scottish Coastal Forum, LANTRA, SNH, Highland Council, Western Isles Council and The Crown Estate;
• European involvement at the highest level.
• Communication by way of debate between the Management Committee and members at the Annual Conference (Autumn) and on an individual basis at other times, plus mailshots on specific issues, plus a quarterly informative Newsletter (‘The Grower’), edited by Janet Brown;
• Dissemination of information to leading journalists and decision makers;
• Highly successful annual International Conference, augmented in recent years by Workshops on topical issues (‘Biotoxin Management’, ‘Sustainability’, ‘Innovation’);
• Assistance with applications for Crown Estate Leases and Several Fishery Orders;
• Negotiation with Crown Estate on behalf of the sector over seabed lease rentals;
• Promotional activities, including participation at Exhibitions and Food events;•Involvement in Training issues through participation in LANTRA Sector Skills Council, the UK body for developing vocational training,
• Support in R & D projects through links to EU (CRAFT) and UK research funds, as well as participating in CARD and the Scottish Aquaculture Research Forum, (SARF). CEO Nick Lake currently oversees the Association, with assistance from members of the Management Committee (Stephen Cameron, David Attwood, Janet Brown, Tristan Hugh-Jones, Michael Tait, Ruth Henderson and Allan Jess).
We hope you will consider taking out membership for 2017/2018