C/o Mendosa, Court Hill Road, Rosemarkie, Black-Isle, Inverness, IV10 8UE
Telephone: 44 (0) 1381 620883 mobile: 44 (0) 7876 556784
The ASSG’s annual conference includes a competition to find Scotland’s best shellfish:
Rock Oyster, Crassostrea gigas
Native Oyster, Ostrea edulis
Mussel, Mytlus edulis
Do you have some to enter?
Shuck it and see?
1. Register your intention to compete, by entering on the form to the left.
2. Bring along a 1kg sample of live mussels (count 60-90/Kg) or 12 live oysters (range 80-120g).
3. Product will be held in chilled storage until 1230 on the 26th October, when the competition takes place.
4. Each mussel sample will be debyssed and cooked over high heat until the shells are open. No flavourings or additives will be used.
5. Each oyster sample will be presented some unopened and some opened on one plate.
6. The origin of samples will be anonymous to the judges.
1. All samples must come from registered Scottish farms and be accompanied by a despatch note to ensure traceability, and depuration certificates where necessary
2. Shellfish must be brought to the competition in a chill box to ensure the cool chain is not compromised
3. Competition entrants must be registered as delegates at the conference
4. One entry per registered farm
5. The decision of the judges is final.
Day 1 - October 26th
12:10 Mr Fergus Ewing MSP, Minister for the Rural Economy and Connectivity
Conference Session 1, - The Business Drivers
Consumer Expectations of Shellfish
Critical Mass to Assist Shellfish Production Economics - Scottish Research Findings
Conference Session 2 - The International Perspective
Rapid Testing to Optimise Shellfish Safety
Oyster Production in the Gulf of Mexico and Regulatory Controls
Day 2 - October 27th October
Conference Session 3 - Working with environmental challenges
Satellite Tracking of Algal Blooms and Water Quality
Biosecurity Planning for Multiple Stakeholders - The Loch Creran Experience
Environmental Variables and Mussel Stocks
Conference Session 4 - Scottish Initiatives
Blue Mussel - Pilot Hatchery Developments
Innovation and Scottish Shellfish Production - (Extra presentation here also)
11:45 Andrew Rowley, ARCH UK
Research Support and Industry Development
Promotion of Scottish Shellfish
The Aquaculture Indusry Leadership Group
The ASSG is immensely grateful for the sponsorship of Crown Estate Scotland and the co-sponsorship of SeaFish Industry Authority and Marine Scotland without which the conference would not be possible.
ASSG Conference Oban 2017 - Charges
ASSG Member day rate £50
Non-ASSG Member day rate £75
Standard trade show stand – including two delegates’ registrations £220
Large trade show stand - including two delegates’ registrations £330
Conference dinner, including service charge and glass of wine £45
Student concession day rate £40
Download the presentations, by clicking below! Read again now!