Nick Lake, CEO, C/o Mendosa, Court Hill Road, Rosemarkie, Black-Isle,
Inverness, IV10 8UE Telephone: 44 (0) 1381 620883 mobile: 44 (0) 7876 556784
The ASSG’s annual conference includes a competition to find Scotland’s best shellfish:
Rock Oyster, Crassostrea gigas
Native Oyster, Ostrea edulis
Mussel, Mytlus edulis
Do you have some to enter?
Shuck it and see?
1. Register your intention to compete, by entering on the form to the left.
2. Bring along a 1kg sample of live mussels (count 60-90/Kg) or 12 live oysters (range 80-120g).
3. Product will be held in chilled storage until 1230 on the 31st October, when the competition takes place.
4. Each mussel sample will be debyssed and cooked over high heat until the shells are open. No flavourings or additives will be used.
5. Each oyster sample will be presented some unopened and some opened on one plate.
6. The origin of samples will be anonymous to the judges.
1. All samples must come from registered Scottish farms and be accompanied by a despatch note to ensure traceability, and depuration certificates where necessary
2. Shellfish must be brought to the competition in a chill box to ensure the cool chain is not compromised
3. Competition entrants must be registered as delegates at the conference
4. One entry per registered farm
5. The decision of the judges is final.
Opening Address: – Mairi Gougeon MSP, Minister for Rural Affairs and Natural Environment, Scottish Parliament
Proceedings will include the introduction and scrutiny of the -
Best Scottish Shellfish Competition
Lead Judge – Nicki Holmyard, Offshore Farms Ltd.
Exclusive prize plates sponsored by Highlands and Islands Enterprise
Award winning seafood and shellfish
Conference lunches allowing ample time for discussions with fellow enthusiasts, suppliers and support body personnel.
National and international experts will include views on:
Presentations from National and International experts to include:
Resilience Traits of Cultivated Bivalve Shellfish – Sandra Shumway – USA
Delivering Benefits from Bivalve Cultivation – Aad Smaal – Netherlands
Retailing Shellfish – Mhairi Forbes / Rosemary Wilkinson – M&S - London
Restaurant Consumers – Ben Wright – Wright Brothers - London
Turning Shellfish into Seafood – Stephen Cameron – SSMG – Glasgow
NAEMO - Oban Mussel Workshop Findings – Asa Strand – Sweden
Environment of Mussel Longlines – Danielle Bridger / John Holmyard – Devon
Scottish Production Driven Research – Shell-volution – Gregg Arthur - Shetland
Science and Technology – Delivering Shellfish – Carter Newell – USA
The Great Debate: - Oysters - Industry Requirements of Hatcheries?
Mark Dravers – Guernsey Seafarms
Kelsey Thompson – Morecambe Bay Oysters
Bookings for trade stand space and early registration can be undertaken online, by clicking here.
Reduced Rates for Students and Free Poster Space can be arranged through the organisers
Contact Roy Clarke – Conference Manager
Conference Dinner for Delegates and Guests to be held on 31st October
at the Fishouse Restaurant – Full Menu and Details to be updated so please watch this space!
(Please Note: Conference Presentations and Speakers may be subject to change without notice)
For further details and availability contact: Roy Clarke Conference Manager
ASSG Conference Oban 2019 - Charges
ASSG Member: £100 (£50 / day)
Non-ASSG Member: £150 (£75 / day)
Standard trade show stand – including two delegates’ registrations: £250
Large trade show stand - including two delegates’ registrations: £350
Conference dinner: £50
Student concession: £50 (£25 / day)